From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Snow And Peace: A Night To Remember

1972.  While I had been a music junkie from the 60s, seeing my first live show always seemed like my rebirth.  No other passion has consumed me more.  In a previous post "A Chestnut from The Byrds,"   I talked about my first concert and mentioned that my second show was two weeks later.

Now in 1972, the Vietnam War was still an ever present factor, though starting to wind down.  Across the street from my house, two next door neighbors...one black and one white (the war knew no color lines) came home in caskets, forever changing the touch football games that were played on the street.  One of my brother's friends had the same fate.  Luckily my brother's number in the draft lottery was high (remember the draft) and he never had to serve. And as always, there was the music. Protest songs were everywhere.

"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace."


An unlikely protest song came from the singer Melanie. Now on February 19, 1972, I had four tickets to see Melanie, again at the Capitol Theatre.  It snowed all day and into the evening. I didn't have a drivers license yet, and the girls I was going with, were not gonna get their parent's car that night..no way, no how. Determined to go, it was less than three miles away, I needed to come up with Plan B.
Call Up The Crush.


As a junior in high school, I was mad for one tall, long blond haired, big mustached, drop dead gorgeous, dumb as a doorpost senior, who lived a few blocks away...and he loved Melanie and he had his own car. We were good friends, that's all we would ever be, but that one night is still a memory I treasure.  Great seats, down front, great friends and great music. One night I was on top of the world.

"Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away."

A song that was heard everywhere in the early 70's, one we all sang along with every time it was on  the radio...float back in time for "Lay Down."

"Let your white bird smile up at the ones who stand and frown."

No comments:

Post a Comment