From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Going Home To Motown: No Disputing The Truth

Motown. Where do you start...and how do you choose one definitive artist or song.  Can't be done, so here's what we're gonna do.  Start to cover all of it.  Just like we're going to revisit the cover songs and great lyrics from time to time, Motown will be a recurring theme. No other way around it.

Now, I grew up on Motown. Whether it was Smokey (how I love that man), The Temptations, Four Tops, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, the Jackson 5 or so many more, they could be seen on TV and heard on the radio non-stop. Fine by me.

The first taste of Motown is none of the above. One of my favorite songs from the Motown empire was from a group called The Undisputed Truth.  While not a really well known group, when you saw them on TV, you would not forget them  "Psychedelic Soul,"...they came out with huge white afros and white make-up.

In a song originally done by the Temptations, The Undisputed Truth had their biggest hit.

A double dose of the same song. Because I love the studio version so much, that one is up first.  But, I'd be remiss if I didn't include their live performance in full costume.

Watch your back, here comes...

"Smiling Faces, Sometimes"  - studio
"Smiling Faces, Sometimes"  - live

.

1 comment: