From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Friday, February 3, 2012

More Than A Corner Man: Angelo Dundee

Without Angelo Dundee, would Muhammed Ali still have been The Greatest...probably. But no one can deny the influence the legendary corner man had on the boxing great.  What do I know about boxing you ask?  Nowadays, not so much, but back when heavyweights ruled the sport, I knew boxers, trainers, promoters and announcers.  It was a family thing.

My dad and brother were sports junkies, I was never a playing with dolls kind of girl (well there's a surprise) so I followed right along with the boys.  Hanging with the guys, I thought was always a better option...still do.

"In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter and by his trade
And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down 
or cut him til he cried out in his anger and his shame,
I am leaving, I am leaving...but the fighter still remains."

Angelo Dundee died on Wednesday at the age of 90.  A lot of living in those years.

With all that's in the news this week, the obvious choice for the taste of the day would be "Eye of the Tiger."  I may be called a lot of things, but I haven't heard obvious, yet.  The day is still young.

Equally wonderful, I give you  "The Boxer"  by Simon and Garfunkel, video from Central Park 1981.

Easy journey, Ang.

1 comment:

  1. The Best of the Best.........................Perfect tune in his memory !

    Thanks Kat............

    ReplyDelete