From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Got It Covered Today: Serving Up Green Onions

Had a question on twitter today from musician Andrew Boyd as to what I thought were some of the great cover songs ever recorded. While I'm still working on that list, a few that came to mind were the Robert Plant-Alison Krauss version of "Black Dog", Heart wailing on "Rock & Roll" and basically any song that Joe Cocker has covered.

So I thought today's lick should be a classic cover.  Roy Buchanan was the son of a sharecropper and he could play the blues like nobody's business.  Mostly using a 1953 Fender Telecaster, Roy could make you see its soul fly out.  A true guitar picker in every sense of the word, today's tasty treat is a cover of the classic Booker T and the MGs "Green Onions."

Gonna make you cry.

5 comments:

  1. Nicely done. Wow, covers that's an interesting one. This song sprang to mind when I read the topic: The Holmes Bros whom you may know, (blues/gospel) doing Cheap Trick's I Want You to Want Me Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, wrong link - try this: http://www.myspace.com/theholmesbrothers/music/songs/i-want-you-to-want-me-43189961

    ReplyDelete
  3. well now...gonna have to taste that right now. wow...very nice indeed. you almost need to put the Cheap Trick version out of your head to appreciate how beautiful it is. good job by you G. keep em coming...sharing good sounds, that's why we're here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this one comes out of left field but...remember that old cross eyed Mary song...Jethro tull? THE first version I vever heard was by Iron Mainden...so I actually prefer that version..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hebZV0l0Lng

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could be this is what the Grammy voters listened to when they voted Jethro Tull the winner of the first Heavy Metal Grammy Award! I love that music is so subjective. As for me, I can accept the band's interpretation, but Ian Anderson's vocal has so many layers, it would be hard for me not to pick the original. Love the comment, love sharing tasty licks.

    ReplyDelete