From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hungry For Great Music: I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore

Back in the day...way back in the day, late 60's, I was an early teenager. Hey, I've always said I was old...but I had a hell of a lot of fun and the memories I have...wouldn't ever trade them.

There was a semi-local group which we all had a vested interest in. The Rascals or The Young Rascals had some roots in town. Local born Vocalist Eddie Brigati had lived a couple of blocks away and the band showed up in town at some church fairs and stuff like that from time to time.  Actually got their start in a local place...The Choo Choo Club, right next to the railroad tracks. Not too long ago, the corner nearest Eddie and his brother Dave's (background vocals/arrangements) house was renamed Brigati Way. I believe the drummer Dino Danelli was a Jersey boy as well.  Keyboardist & vocalist Felix Cavaliere came from New York and guitarist Gene Cornish originally from Canada.

"Yeah, I admit you've got the biggest brown eyes and you know how to part your lips to tantalize, sure"

Known for creating blue-eyed soul, The Rascals had their share of hits including "Groovin", "A Girl Like You", "Good Lovin", "It's A Beautiful Morning" and "People Gotta Be Free."  All great early rock.

To choose a favorite from The Rascals is like picking a favorite child. Sorry, I love them all. But for the taste of the day...

"I love you, I love, I do girl...but you ain't gonna cheat on me
I need you, I need you, I do girl...choose is it him or me"

Because the videos are so poor, I'm including both a studio version and a not so great video.

Start the drum roll Dino...
"I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore." - studio
"I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore" - semi-live (gotta love the outfits)

"You better watch your step or girl you're gonna lose the best thing you've ever had."

Yes, indeed.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment