From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Voodoo That You Do...So Well

On May 2, 1968 Jimi Hendrix walked into the the Record Plant recording studio in New York City and laid down the tracks for "Voodoo Chile." This epic song would become part of Jimi's legacy known as the Electric Ladyland double album.


After a late night club scene, Hendrix and friends began recording at 7:30 in the morning. Among the friends that night were Steve Winwood (organ), Jack Casady (bass) and Mitch Mitchell (drums). On the first take, Jimi showed them what to do. A broken string interrupted the second take and the third time was the charm.

Over the years many musicians have tried their hand at the guitar licks by Hendrix. Today, we will taste a few of the best.


Listen up:

Stevie Ray Vaughn "Voodoo Chile" ...perhaps the best outside of Jimi
Kenny Wayne Shepherd "Voodoo Chile" ...nice, especially with Noah Hunt doing vocals
Zakk Wilde & Slash "Voodoo Chile"...double guitars...double the power...blowing it out...killer
Jimi Hendrix "Voodoo Chile"... live at Woodstock. uh huh.

Hot damn, that's some freakin' great guitar work right there.

Pick your favorite and leave a comment below.

.

6 comments:

  1. I'm always a stickler for the original...so Hendrix wins for me. But, Stevie Ray's comes a very close 2nd! Man that guy could play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey,how about Winwood&clapton??Not too shabby in my opinion.In the teachings of Jobu,ess verri baad not to include Winwwod&Clapton

    ReplyDelete
  3. gotta add 2nd comment!!Listening to winwood clapton versoin.SACRILAGIE :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While you know I love the Winwood-Clapton version. I think of it as a combo of Little Wing (which I adore) and Voodoo Chile together. Since I have already done the Little Wing post, I decided not to include it. It is smokin' hot though.

      Delete
  4. Not too shabby in my opinion.In the teachings of Jobu,ess verri baad not to include Winwwod&Clapton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought it was all about Jobu's rum, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out today for flying objects aimed at my head. Do love the W&C version as well. Thanks.

      Delete