From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Doc Watson: One Damn Fine Picker

Sometimes the glory in being a musician comes not from hit records or playing to stadiums filled with adoring fans. Sometimes the glory of being a musician is just that...being a musician.

Doc Watson was a musician.

Blind since before his first birthday, Doc learned to play the guitar and honed his craft in the 40 years before he would record his first record. Both a flat picker and finger picker, Doc collaborations with Earl Scruggs, Chet Atkins, Ricky Skaggs, and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, are legendary. The winner of 3 Grammy Awards, Doc's influence on the modern style of guitar playing is immeasurable.

Here's an interesting mini-documentary on the creation of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" which featured Doc, Maybelle Carter, Earl Scruggs and others.

Now, let's have a taste of one of the greats...

"Deep River Blues" ...Doc showing us a thing or two
"Rolling in my Sweet Baby's Arms" ...Doc Watson, Ricky Skaggs, Earl Scruggs..just great stuff
"Whiskey Before Breakfast"  ...Doc won a Grammy for this in 2007 at the age of  84
"I'll Fly Away" ...one month before he died, still on the road.

...and that's how you do it son.

Easy journey Doc.

.

3 comments:

  1. Got to be honest...you write so I feel like I actually know who you are writing about. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mark..hope you sample the music through the links as well. that's where you get the education.

      Delete
  2. Indeed..love the guitar work, but not really the type of music that 'moves' me.

    ReplyDelete