From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Nod to Veterans, Past and Present

As I would walk into my parent's house every Veterans Day, my Dad would be sitting at the kitchen table. He would glance up at me, look into my eyes and wait.

I would return the look, raise my hand to my eyebrow, salute him and say "Happy Veterans Day, chief." We lost him nearly three months ago and the sadness I feel today is almost unbearable. He was a Navy Vet of World War II, the Seabees to be exact. While living through a time of war for any serviceman is a hard thing, for an 18 year old spending time in the jungle of New Guinea, it was an experience he treasured for his entire life. He never realized his dream to go back, maybe it was better that way.

While I didn't want to do a patriotic musical theme today, I did want to honor our Vets. Those new ones, just home from endless tours of duty, and our older generations of the military from Vietnam, Korea and World War II. And also to those who didn't serve in a conflict zone, but still gave years of their lives to our country. We thank you all.

So, in thinking about my Dad and his generation, the song I've chosen today is from that era. Originally done by the Andrew Sisters, it was later covered by the Divine Miss M many generations later.

From the 1941 Abbott and Costello movie Buck Privates, the Andrew Sisters singing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B"


Happy Veterans Day, thanks.

.

2 comments:



  1. Seabees........as we both know and share they are a special breed ....xo


    Thank you to all our Veterans today and always !

    ReplyDelete