From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Night To Remember: John Joins John Onstage

"I'd like to thank Elton and the boys for having me on tonight."

So said John Lennon on November 28, 1974 as he intro'ed the last of three songs he sang at Madison Square Garden in NYC. Months before, as Elton John and John Lennon had guested on each other's albums, Elton asked John if he would appear on stage with him in the event that John's single "Whatever Gets You Through the Night," became a #1 song. Lennon, who had never had a #1 solo hit, figured, what the hell, and agreed.

On November 16, the song was on top of the Billboard charts and twelve days later John Lennon would make the last live concert appearance of his life.

Today, let's taste the songs he sang that night, thirty-eight years ago.

"Whatever Gets You Through The Night"
"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"
"I Saw Her Standing There"

All these years later, the thought of what might have been still breaks my heart.
But today we celebrate what was.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment