From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Working on Some Night Moves

Bob Seger turns 69 today. It's been a while since I had y'all sit back and listen to some lyrics, so why not today.

While not complex or inspiring deep thought, Seger always had a way to hit the nail on the head. Whether it's the anthem to us baby boomers and our view of music "Old Time Rock n' Roll," or the life of an outsider on the road in "Turn The Page," Seger takes a familiar situation and makes it instantly personal. It's so easy to understand, because in one way or another, we've all had those moments in life.

Which brings us to today's lyric lesson. Can you remember hearing "Night Moves" for the first time? I do, and I remember thinking... what? Is he really talking about what I think he's talking about? Remember this was 1976, and songs about sex weren't really being played on Top 40 radio.

"I was a little too tall
Could've used a few pounds
Tight pants points hardly reknown
She was a black-haired beauty with big dark eyes
And points all her own sitting way up high
Way up firm and high"

Perfectly descriptive, setting the mood right off the top.

"Out past the cornfields where the woods got heavy
Out in the back seat of my '60 Chevy
Workin' on mysteries without any clues
Workin' on our night moves"

"Workin' on mysteries without any clues." Without just saying it, can you describe teenage sex better than that?

"And we'd steal away every chance we could
To the backroom, to the alley or the trusty woods
I used her as she used me
But neither one cared
We were gettin' our share
Workin' on our night moves"

Hormones. I guess they unraveled the mysteries... along with some clothes.

"And oh the wonder
We felt the lightning
And we waited on the thunder
Waited on the thunder"

As we all know, sometimes there was thunder, sometimes... eh.

 "Ain't it funny how the night moves
When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
Strange how the night moves
With autumn closing in"

Do we look back on those days with fondness, melancholy or embarrassment? Mostly I think, as a rite of passage. Lessons learned, memories half forgotten, mysteries solved.

Ain't it strange how the night moves?


Words and music by Bob Seger, all rights reserved.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment