From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Little Review of the Revue: Classic Soul



"Oh she may be weary
Young girls they do get weary
Wearing that same old Shaggy dress, yeah yeah
But when she gets weary
Try a little tenderness, yeah yeah"


Yeah, a little weary. Two weeks, five shows, two interviews, three states. A lot of preparation, a lot of writing, a lot of fun. While I finish up my official duties, just wanted to share a little about last night's show. But first, my review of Eric Burdon at the Highline Ballroom is now live over at ourvinyl.com. Check it out by clicking... Eric Burdon Review.

Last night I was at BB King's Blues Club in Manhattan to see A Decade of Soul: Classic Soul and Motown Revue. I wasn't planning on doing a review, just going as a civilian for a change. But the show was so enjoyable and so well done, I thought I'd just give a little taste of it. And well, when it comes to sharing music, I can't help myself.

From the introduction when you could hear the opening notes of "Dancing in the Street," to the end of the show with "Stand by Me" as part of a medley, there wasn't one down minute. Anchored by Prentiss McNeil who spent 28 years with The Drifters and Bruce "Big Daddy" Wayne, one of Wilson Pickett's Midnight Movers, you also had Janelle Jones filling in for Aretha, Martha, Tina and the rest... quite wonderfully.

"Midnight Hour," "Try a Little Tenderness," "Proud Mary," even "Sex Machine," they ran the gamut from Smokey, to Stevie, to James Brown, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding and more... complete with a little dancing and one hell of a band.

It was a great show. While seeing the hot bands and the headliners is always fun, there is so much joy in just experiencing the music itself. The Revue featured very talented artists and how could you go wrong with the catalog of music they featured? The best times are often when you think outside the box. This was one of them.

How can you go wrong when you start a show with this...

.

2 comments:

  1. one can never go wrong with motown&some sweet soul.your body ant moving you be dead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for you review and I am glad you enjoyed our show.

    Rob Jack
    bigrobjack.com

    ReplyDelete