From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

It Took Me By Surprise, I Must Say

"ooh, I bet you're wondering how I knew."

We all know that opening line. And whether we know the version by Gladys, Marvin, Creedence or the California Raisins, "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" is one of those songs that will live on for generations.

The version by Marvin Gaye held the #1 spot on Billboard's Pop chart for seven weeks starting in December 1968. Marvin Gaye would have turned 74 today, but one day before his 45th birthday he was shot to death by his father. While the Grapevine was one of his most successful records, his music encompassed so much more.

From smooth Motown classics to exquisite duets with Tammi Terrell, to sensual albums like "Let's Get It On," Marvin Gaye took his three-octave range and caressed each vocal with restrained passion. Marvin Gaye not only interpreted songs, he wrote some good ones too. He wrote or co-wrote " Beechwood 4-5789," "Dancing' in the Streets," "Hitch-Hike," "What's Going on," and "Sexual Healing" to name a few. He started out as a drummer and played on some of early Motown's biggest hits.

He led a troubled life with bad relationships, drug and financial problems. But through it all he was the "Prince of Soul."

A few samples of the talent of Mr. Marvin Gaye

"You're All I Need To Get By" Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell. Every song they recorded together was perfection.
"Distant Lover"
"Pride and Joy"

and well, because...
"I Heard It Through The Grapevine" go on, sing it.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment