From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Got It Covered: Got an Urge for some Neil

Happy Birthday Neil Diamond.

One of the 20th Century's greatest songwriters, Neil Diamond has written hit songs for so many artists, as well as saving quite a few for himself. Down the road there will be a full blog on Neil Diamond, but for this installment of Got It Covered, on his birthday, I thought we could just taste one song that has a pretty well-known cover.

Originally released in 1967, "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon," reached the #10 spot on Billboard's Pop Chart. Then in 1992 it was covered by Chicago alternative rock band, Urge Overkill. Their version was later used by Quentin Tarantino in Pulp Fiction in 1994.

First up, Neil's version of  "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon" with that great opening line...


"Love you so much
Can't count all the ways
I'd die for you girl
And all they can say is
"He's not your kind"

They never get tired
Of puttin' me down
And I never know
When I come around
What I'm gonna find
Don't let them make up your mind

Don't you know
Girl, you'll be a woman soon
Please, come take my hand
Girl, you'll be a woman soon
Soon you'll need a man

I've been misunderstood
For all of my life
But what they're sayin',
Girl, just cuts like a knife
"The boy's no good"

Well, I finally found
What I've been looking for
But if they get the chance,
They'll end it for sure
Sure they would
Baby, I've done all I could

It's up to you
Girl, you'll be a woman soon
Please, come take my hand
Girl, you'll be a woman soon
Soon you'll need a man
Soon you'll need a man....."

And the wonderful cover by Urge Overkill "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon"

Not too different in approach, but the gritty vocal of Diamond and the smooth voice of Nash Kato are beautiful in contrast.

Thoughts...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment