From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Got It Covered: Ain't No Sunshine

When today's taste first hit the charts, I was not a fan. It took a while for me to warm up to it, but after a while I was able to appreciate all the aspects which make it one great song. It was released in 1971, written and performed by Bill Withers. The song is "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone."


"Ain't no sunshine when she's gone 
It's not warm when she's away. 
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone 
And she's always gone too long 
Anytime she goes away."


A better pedigree in putting together a record you would be hard pressed to find. Withers doing a haunting vocal with a simple guitar. Bring in Duck Dunn on bass, Al Jackson Jr. on drums and featuring a sweet string arrangement by Booker T. Just another example of the incredible session talent found in the city of Memphis during the 60's and 70's.


"Wonder this time where she's gone 
Wonder if she's gone to stay 
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone 
And this house just ain't no home 
Anytime she goes away."


While Bill Wither's sets the standard, over the years there have been so many great covers of this song.

Let's just taste a few: "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone"

Bill Withers...setting the bar
Michael Jackson...recorded in 1972, a very young Michael. While the intro is unnecessary, the vocal of the song shows the promise of the incredible talent still to come.
Sting..with a slam dunk sax thanks to David Sanborn
Tracy Chapman & Buddy Guy...sweet duet
Carlos Santans & Rob Thomas...totally different interpretation thanks to Carlos
Jeff Beck Band...featuring Bob Tench on vocals
Aaron Neville...no one sounds like Aaron Neville
Joan Osbourne...an outstanding version

Taste a few or taste 'em all.

and I know, I know, I know, I know, I know...
.

1 comment: