From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Monday, April 2, 2012

What's Going On? Celebrating Marvin's Birthday

Today we celebrate hands down the smoothest singer ever to come out of Motown...no disrespect to Smokey intended.

Marvin Gaye was born on this day in 1939. From the late 60s until his death in 1984, Marvin Gaye had a string of hits that are still on the playlists of radio stations everywhere. From "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" to "What's Going On" right through "Sexual Healing",  Marvin sang with a style that cannot be duplicated.


More than I loved Marvin on his own, I loved him even more when paired with Tammi Terrell, another wonderful singer who died way too young. Today, let's taste both Marvin solo and along with Tammi.

As much as I love this first song, I detest when it is used as a sports theme. It is nothing but the sexiest song ever recorded (ok that's open for interpretation, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Marvin Gaye "Let's Get It On" ..live, sooo goood
Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" ...a perfect duet

Happy Birthday Marvin.


.




2 comments:

  1. Chris has done a couple lines of "Lets Get It On" during his shows before. I swear the girls bout hit the floor. As we CY fans say....need "thud cushions" for that one! ;)

    Love me some Marvin Gaye!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "thud cushions" huh? that's a new one, but i get it for sure.

    ReplyDelete