From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Not Just A Member Of The Band: Levon Helm

Levon Helm was the man with the recognizable voice.

Born in Arkansas, his southern roots showed throughout his career. Starting out with the Ronnie Hawkins Band, Helm was most notably a member of The Band. With the ability to play several musical instruments, Levon Helm along with the other members of the band, would rotate between drums, guitar, mandolin, bass, banjo and harmonica.

The Band hit it big in 1968 with the album "Music from Big Pink." Included on Big Pink was one of their most famous songs "The Weight" along with Bob Dylan's "I Shall Be Released." Their relationship with Dylan continued over the years both touring and recording together. After The Band broke up, Helm continued his career, playing solo and along with a host of different musicians. In his later years, at his home in Woodstock NY, Helm held musical get-togethers known as the Midnight Ramble. These rambles featured a never ending assortment of musicians and the shows were open to the public so funds could be raised for Helm's ever mounting medical bills.

Tastes for today include some of my favorites from The Band.

"This Wheel's On Fire" ...Helm on drums and backing vocals
"Ophelia"...Drums and lead vocals

"I see my light come shining
from the west unto the east
any day now, any day now
I Shall Be Released"

Easy journey Levon.

.

1 comment:

  1. What'll Woodstock do without Levon? May his music play on.

    ReplyDelete