From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Wandering Back To Where It Started

Going back to some roots today.

As with virtually everything when we were growing up, my brother and I had vastly different tastes when it came to music.  He hated everything I liked and for the most part I felt the same about what he liked. But there were a few exceptions. Today's taste is one of those. Dion.

Dion DiMucci brought the tail end of Doo Wop into the rock and roll arena. And, he did it with attitude. Even in the old videos of Dion in the suit with the styled hair, he showed the swagger that would be his trademark...New York City all the way.

My brother had a 45 rpm of  "Runaround Sue" which I would play when he wasn't around. Back then, you had to sneak certain things so you didn't get your ass kicked (but that's a story for another day).  Backed up by The Belmonts, this song was so fun and lively, you couldn't help singing along.

Dion had a string of hits early on, faded then came back huge in the late 60s with "Abraham. Martin and John."


"I'm the type of guy that likes to roam around
I'm never in one place I roam from town to town
And when I find myself a-fallin' for some girl
I hop right into that car of mine and ride around the world
Yeah I'm the wanderer yeah the wanderer
I roam around around around."



Still rockin' it today...a clip from back then and another with Dion showing how you do it...with years of practice.

"The Wanderer" circa 1961
"The Wanderer"  around 50 years later, damn he can still kick ass


"If your feet ain't tappin', baby you're dead."


.



1 comment: