From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Sailing Away Today: Nice & Smooth

Writing, you may have noticed, is my thing. So musically, the lyrics are what catches me first, then I go into the instrumentation. Specifically today, we're talking guitars. Boy this is gonna piss off some people to be sure.

Just like anything else, your favorite rock guitarist is a subjective thing. Yes... Eddie, Jimmy, Jeff...all masters, no argument from me. I can appreciate the depth of their ability and their soul.  Just not what soothes my soul.  My top three: Clapton,Vaughn & Knopfler...with Clapton and Knopfler on top...though no particular order. Disclaimer: No disrespect intended to any guitar players who might read this.  I like smooth, not frenetic...and then Stevie Ray is just Stevie Ray (can you say "Little Wing?")  Having seen all of them play live, well those are memories to savor.

The taste for today is from one of my top three.  The first time I heard "Sultans of Swing" with that guitar solo, it was 'whoa, can I hear that every day for the rest of my life?'  Kinda of how I felt and still feel about the guitar and piano solos of "Layla"...it never gets tired.

On this morning's menu is Mark Knofler doing a little something from one of his solo albums.  The title song from "Sailing to Philadelphia," features James Taylor helping out on the vocals. It's not a knock your socks off guitar piece, just a nice blend of vocals and instrumentation. This entire CD is wonderful, if you have the chance to check it out.

Sail away.

.




No comments:

Post a Comment