From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Barry McGuire: The Eve of Destruction

Happy Birthday Barry McGuire.

The 1960's were a time of turmoil both domestically and around the world. In the states, we had the Civil Rights Movement and the War in Viet Nam front and center. The treat of nuclear war with the Soviet Union seemed an ever present possibility. Schools had fall-out shelters with canned goods and supplies of water. If there had been an attack, none of that would have done a bit of good.

Protest songs were everywhere. Dylan, Baez, Seeger...all sang about the issues of the day. The one song that rang true for me and still does, is a song by Barry McGuire. Written in 1965 by one of the more successful songwriters of the day, P.F. Sloan, the song was originally intended for the Byrds. Over the years, it was recorded by many, but the raw version by McGuire projected the sentiment of the song perfectly.

The song is "Eve of Destruction"
The story goes that it was recorded in one take on a Thursday and by Monday, you could hear it on the radio, where it soon went to number one. Please read the lyrics as you listen.


"The eastern world it is explodin', violence flarin', bullets loadin'
You're old enough to kill but not for votin'
You don't believe in war, what's that gun you're totin'
And even the Jordan river has bodies floatin'

But you tell me over and over and over again my friend
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

Don't you understand, what I'm trying to say?
Can't you see the fear that I'm feeling today?
If the button is pushed, there's no running away
There'll be none to save with the world in a grave
Take a look around you, boy, it's bound to scare you, boy

And you tell me over and over and over again my friend
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

Yeah, my blood's so mad, feels like coagulatin'
I'm sittin' here just contemplatin'
I can't twist the truth, it knows no regulation
Handful of Senators don't pass legislation

And marches alone can't bring integration
When human respect is disintegratin'
This whole crazy world is just too frustratin'

And you tell me over and over and over again my friend
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

Think of all the hate there is in Red China
Then take a look around to Selma, Alabama
Ah, you may leave here for four days in space
But when you return it's the same old place

The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace
You can bury your dead but don't leave a trace
Hate your next door neighbor but don't forget to say grace

And you tell me over and over and over and over again my friend
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction"

"Hate your next door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace," brilliant way to end the song. It's 47 years later and not much as changed. Different places and wars, but it's still relevant today. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment