From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Right Down The Line: Just A Love Song

Over the last few months, I have listened to today's song several times, and every time I hear it, I savor it even more.

Gerry Rafferty was a singer-songwriter from Scotland, who enjoyed a decent amount of fame in the late 70's. First known from the band Stealers Wheel, the group had a hit in 1972 with the song "Stuck in the Middle with You." He recorded a solo album in 1978 which produced his biggest single "Baker Street."

His songwriting was heartfelt and beautifully melodic. His singing was exactly the same. While "Baker Street" told his story of life in the business and the fame which made him so uncomfortable, today's taste is just a flat-out love song. Jerry Rafferty died in January, 2011, his battle with alcohol the main factor in his death.

Another artist who sang with his soul and lost a piece of it with every hit record.

Enjoy a few minutes of what a love song should be...lyrics from the heart combined with a melody to help convey the feelings.

"Right Down the Line"


"You know I need your love, you got that hold over me
Long as I got your love, you know that I'll never leave
When I wanted you to share my life, I had no doubt in my mind
And it's been you, woman, right down the line

I know how much I lean on you, only you can see
Changes that I've been true, have left there mark on me
You've been as constant as the northern star, the brightest light that shines
It's been you, woman, right down the line

I just wanna say this is my way of telling you everything,
I could never say before
Yeah this is my way of telling you that everyday, 
I'm loving you so much more

Cause you believed in me through my darkest night
Put something better inside of me, you brought me into the light
Threw away all those crazy dreams, I put them all behind
And it was you, woman, right down the line

I just wanna say this is my way of telling you everything, 
I could never say before
Yeah this is my way of telling you that everyday, 
I'm loving you so much more

If I should doubt myself, if I'm losing ground
I won't turn to someone else, they'd only let me down
When I wanted you to share my life, I had no doubt in my mind
And it's been you, woman, right down the line"

In this song, Rafferty writes no crazy comparisons or adjectives or claims. He wrote it all simply and matter-of-factly. When he sings it though, it feels true...just as a love song should.

.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite songs since the first time I head it. Nice choice, Kat!

    ReplyDelete