From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hold On, I'm Coming: Sam and Dave

If you ask most people if they are fans of Mr. Moore and Mr. Prater, they will look at you and say "Who?" But,  if you ask those same people to name a song by Sam & Dave, most will smile and start singing "Soul Man."

The soul/R&B duo began in the 60's and were together until the 80's. Two more members of the Memphis musical church known as Stax Records, Sam & Dave brought the sweet, soulful sound of the South and fused it with a tinge of gospel, R&B and pop. Members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, there is not a musician worth his salt around today, who has not been influenced by Mr. Moore and Mr. Prater.

I was never lucky enough to have seen them perform, but it is well documented that a Sam & Dave show was one of the greatest live acts of all time.

Let's get the morning off to a good start with a few tastes of the masters...

"Soul Man" ...live 1967 footage...the Blues Brothers got nothing on the originals
"Hold On (I'm Comin')
"When Something Is Wrong With My Baby"  ...Duck Dunn on bass. RIP
"Soul Sister, Brown Sugar"
"I Thank You" ...No, we thank you.


If your foot ain't tappin'...baby you're dead.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment