From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Guilty Pleasures: Inside Out

So here it is. I like Phil Collins music. There I've said it. Now I don't love Phil Collins music, but when all those hits came out in the 80's, they were fun and I enjoyed every one of them. Shoot me.

And I'm calling bullshit if anyone of you out there says they haven't played air drums on "In The Air Tonight." I can remember a few nights where everyone would be hanging at my place and a few of us, you can guess the names, would be dancing to "Sussudio." Pure 80's, great horns, great fun. If you're feet ain't tappin... well you know the rest.

So, I could have gone with "Sussudio" as my Guilty Pleasure, but there's another Phil Collins song higher on my personal chart. Funny how you might not hear a song in years, then it pops on the radio and you remember all the things you liked about it.

"Inside out, ooh you got me inside out
Oh inside out, oh inside out"

Yeah, I know not much there right? Let's get to the real lyrics and you know what, they're good. Ok, not "Positively 4th Street," good, but I've always been a bit on the rebel side and the message works for me. 

"Now everybody keeps on telling me how to be
And everybody tells me do what they say
ooh, I'll help myself it's up to me and no one else
But till I'm ready just keep out of my way

Inside out, ooh you got me inside out
Oh inside out, oh inside out"

See, sometimes you really need to listen to the words. 

"Now everybody's got me turning round, up and down
And here I am going out of my mind
But I won't lose sight of all the, the things I'm looking for
They're coming to me and I'm taking what's mine

Inside out, ooh you got me inside out
Oh inside out, oh inside out, inside out"

They're coming to me and I'm taking what's mine...yeah.

"All of my life I've been searching and hanging on
Turn a corner, never know what I'd find
But now I'm back again like I never went away
Ooh let me in I'm through with wasting my time

Inside out, ooh you got me inside out
Oh inside out, oh inside out"

Simple, to the point. It's not like a book by Gore Vidal when you've read the same paragraph three times and screamed "What the hell is he trying to say?" Sometimes simple is all you need.

Ok, so there's another one of my guilty pleasures. As always, feel free to comment or leave your guilty pleasures...  nothing kinky please, send those by email. 


Words and music by Phil Collins, all rights reserved.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment