From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Twisted MixTape: Saying Goodbye

It’s always sad to say goodbye, and this week it’s not only the theme of Tuesday’s Twisted MIxTape, it’s also a for real goodbye, at least for a while. Because she has finally come to her senses, Jen has decided to take some time off from hosting this weekly blog hop. It’s the old adage of ‘be careful what you wish for,’ because she built it and we all came. It’s time for a break. So this is the last MixTape at her party for a while.

So, let’s say goodbye in good fashion. I didn’t want to overthink this, just did a few songs that jumped into my head… and yes, that is a strange place to be.

First up is a Dylan song, though I’m not featuring his version but the more well-known cover by Joan Baez. I love the version by John Mellencamp, but apparently it is not anywhere on the web. It is worth checking out on the Rough Harvest album.


“Farewell Angelina”



A very long time ago, there was a band called The Moody Blues. They created some of the most beautiful songs of their time, as well as albums that took you on a musical journey. And guess what, they're still around making good music. This is one of their earliest songs.

"Go Now"

An equally long time ago, an English duo by the name of Chad and Jeremy had several hits. This was one of those summer romance ending songs.

" A Summer Song"


I don't know why I thought of this song, but why not? It's beautiful, poignant, fits the theme and is by Steve Winwood. Good enough for me.

"My Love's Leaving"

And sadly now we say goodbye. Who better to say goodbye than... Groucho.
"I'll stay a week or two, I'll stay the summer through
But I am telling you, I must be going"

"Hello, I Must Be Going"

Sniff, sniff... thanks for the memories, Jen. It's been a blast. Hope to see you back in the fall.

My Skewed View
.

12 comments:

  1. very nice parting selections. cant go wrong with Moody Blues or Stevie Winwood. And no Bruce??:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Steve Winwood is an old, old favorite. The memories of that particular summer it brought back made me smile.

    and thank you for all the others too, esp the ones I'd never heard. Hoping to see/hear you again in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kir. I know when the "Back in the High Life" came out, I was having a blast, seeing 2-3 shows a week. So for me as well it was a time of good memories. Glad you stopped by, Same place in the fall... promise.

      Delete
  3. I know "Go Now" and "Summer Song" from listening to the Oldies station when I was a kid! I never knew the actual names of the songs, but I was glad to hear them again... it was like bumping into old friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you said about bumping into old friends. That's just perfect. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I love this! I was a fan of a very narrow selection of Moody Blues until I met my husband, now we have a Moody Blues channel on Pandora and I really am amazed at the sheer breadth of their musicianship. Joan Baez will always remind me of my father, so very fitting... And Steve Windwood, some awesome memories. Thank you so much for sending me off this way, for understanding and supporting this decision, it has meant more than you can ever know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for inviting me along for the ride, it has been a joy. and somehow I don't think we will be out of touch over your break. stay true to your heart and everything falls in line.

      Delete
  5. I had not thought of, let alone listened to either "Farewell Angelina" or " My Love's Leaving" in, oh, I don't know, forever? Such great choices!thanks for that rip den memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so very welcome. glad you enjoyed and remembered. thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Hi again from England..

    I love the selection - Mr Winwood is one of this Countries most under rated singer/song writers.

    I'm going with the flow...

    Take care

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't believe this, but I just thought of you yesterday, and that I hoped you were well as you hadn't visited in a while. So very glad to hear from you again, and happy you liked the selections. And I absolutely adore Mr. Winwood.

      Delete