From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Good Music...A Defining Answer

In my last post "Research? How About Just Listen," I wrote about the latest 'scientific research' which tells us today's pop music is boring, simple and basically uninspired. I also gave a few suggestions for good music, and have since been hearing a whole lot of "well, what about..." and "how could you not include...?"

Was there any specific criteria on which I based what I consider good. Hell no. If you hadn't noticed, check out the name in the title of the blog. My name, my blog, my rules...Kat's rules. By the way, those rules are subject to change, depending on my mood and for whom they are intended ;)

Basically, good music must make me feel something. It doesn't need to be a masterpiece, but it must be passionate. It doesn't need to be complicated, but it must speak to me. It doesn't need to move mountains, but it needs to move me.

In saying that, let me offer a few more good music selections

Elton John "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" ...complex, yes. but so moving and powerful
Smokey Robinson & the Miracles "Ooh Baby Baby" ...not at all complex, just smooth and soulful
Kenny Wayne Shepherd "Blue on Black" ...smokey blues, killer vocal, great chorus...all you need
Frank Sinatra "The Way You Look Tonight" ...good music isn't just rock, soul, or the blues. it's classics and classical as well.

Maybe it's time to expand your horizons. You may not like it all...but then again you just might.

Just taste it.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment